Hello, food enthusiasts! Our kitchen hasn’t seen much action on my end lately, since I recently had surgery and was not really up for standing in front of a hot stove for any length of time for about week. I am happily recovered now, however, and thought this would be a good time to tell you about a current favorite salad of mine. The flavors are bright and light and spritely, yet it’s still substantial enough for a whole meal. At this glorious time of year, I often try to stick to meals made from super fresh local seasonal ingredients lovingly picked by jolly farmers in overalls, but blast it, this is too good to not tell you about. The proportions below are for 1 individual salad.
Loosely based on this: http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/endive-kale-and-smoked-salmon-salad-with-avocado-and-pink-grapefruit.html
- 2-3 cups salad greens (my favorite is a mix of spinach, arugula, and mustard greens)
- 1-2 oz smoked salmon, chopped
- ½ an avocado, diced
- ½ grapefruit, sectioned (plus 2ish tablespoons of the juice)
- ¼ cup red onion (I use these Quick Pickled Red Onions from Cookus Interruptus)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Optional: dill
Put all ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine.