Last night was the first night that I drove home from work in the dark, and over the weekend, Eastern Market featured pumpkins bigger than some dogs; all signs that fall is officially upon us. I love fall produce more than any other season’s, but that doesn’t mean I don’t wish summer had stuck around just a bit longer so I could make a few more things. Here is the list of dishes I didn’t get a chance to make this summer:
- Zucchini bread – one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Le sigh.
- Peaches under meringue – sounds fascinatingly lovely.
- Avocado, orange and jicama salad – I don’t even know if all of these fruits are in season at the same time, but I had my first experience with jicama this summer and loved it.
- Zucchini garlic soup – it comes in soup?! If I had found this recipe 2 months earlier, the freezer would be STOCKED.
- Roasted red bell pepper tomato soup – this is my absolute favorite soup from Trader Joe’s, and I only got the idea to make it myself last night after reading endless posts on the Kitchn about stocking freezers. It is possible there will still be some tomatoes and red peppers available at the farmers markets on Sunday, in which case, this will definitely be revisited. And possibly canned, since we have such little freezer space.
I’ll post later on the things I’m looking forward to making now that fall is here – brussels sprouts anyone? – but I’m curious – what are your favorite summer dishes? Did you get to make them all? What about new dishes you just didn’t quite get to?